Most Canadians think that they are getting their gasoline from Alberta and Texas, but that is just not the case. This 2016 graphic from Statistics Canada shows where Canada really gets its oil from:
Despite having the third largest oil reserves in the world, Canada imported $14.4 BILLION worth of oil from foreign countries in 2016.
The short version of why Canada is importing so much oil is because we do not have pipelines from Alberta to the population centers in Ontario & Quebec. People in Ontario and Quebec are certainly not reducing their consumption to effect a net negative in usage, so this necessitates massive oil imports:
- from parts of the world that would like to kill us
- using rail which is 4.5 times less safe than pipelines
- using tankers which were filled using rail cars and pipelines, from the other side of the world where toxic spills are a part of daily life that do not even make the news in West
- using tankers, consuming huge amounts of energy, to ‘drive’ crude oil from the other side of the planet
Remember that the 9/11 attacks were run and funded primarily by Saudi’s:
Fifteen of the 19 were citizens of Saudi Arabia Source: wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijackers_in_the_September_11_attacks
The 9/11 Commission, Aug. 21, 2004: The U.S. government approached the Saudis on some narrow issues, such as locating Bin Ladin’s supposed personal wealth and gaining access to a senior al Qaeda financial figure in Saudi custody, with mixed results. The Saudis generally resisted cooperating more broadly against al Qaeda financing. Source: factcheck.org/2015/02/saudi-arabia-and-the-911-terrorist-attacks/
and that dislike of “the West” continues today:
They are taught to despise and look down on us and our freedoms. The same message is taught at Wahhabi mosques across the world. The Saudis pay for the buildings and appoint the clerics. Today across Europe there are thousands of such institutions of education and religion which exist because they are paid for by the Saudis. Source: thesun.co.uk/news/3174763/saudi-arabias-web-of-hate-is-spreading-one-of-the-worst-forms-of-islam-and-this-is-where-it-leads/
Note that we have several Muslim friends in Canada and trust them implicitly so please do not twist this statement of fact into an anti-Muslim bash; it is simply a statement of the sad fact that PARTS of Saudi Arabia (the parts with money and influence) are aggressively Anti-West. Further, there are many Western friendly Arab states like Jordan.
We do our best to keep to facts and minimize opinion on this site, and the following statement will sound like it is an opinion, but if you stop and rationally think it though, we hope you will agree this is fact: Those that are opposed to taking oil from Alberta are necessarily supporting Saudi Arabia, Algeria and other places that are very unfriendly to Canada and the US.
Take a look at these two short videos explaining how myopic this situation is:
For more in this series see:
- Are Pipelines Really The Safest Way To Transport Oil & Gas?
- Oil & Gas: The Top 10 Things You Didn’t Know About the Oil & Gas Industry
- Oil & Gas: Why ‘Keep It In The Ground’ Is A Formula For Environmental Disaster
- Will The New Canadian National Projects Review Mechanisms, Resolve Provincial & Municipal Disputes