How to Easily Vote TODAY for Canadian Federal Election & Avoid The Lines

Canadian Federal Election Voting OptionsYou probably already knew you could vote:

  1. on election day in by joining thousands of people in line
  2. in limited site advance polls with dozens of people in line
  3. by mail in ballot

but did you know you can vote NOW at ANY of the 500 temporary or permanent Elections Canada offices?

Between now and October 15th, 2019 from 9am to 9pm you can just walk in with your ID.  You do NOT need to have your voter card, although you should definitely take it with you if you have it.

Will A Vote at the Elections Office So Far In Advance Really Count?

Yes, in fact yours will be one of the first counted.  Everyday, every Elections Canada office ships the ballots from those that have voted to the correct polling place so they are counted along side everyone else’s on election day.

Where Is The Closest Elections Canada Office to Me?

Just type in your postal code or city/town name in THIS search and Elections Canada will show a map of your nearest options.

Don’t I Need An Reason To Vote Early?

You no longer need an ‘excuse’ to vote early; in fact elections officials will not even ask you why.

Will There Be Line Ups At the Elections Offices?

If you visit any Elections Canada office it is very unlikely that you will find a line up; you are most likely to be asked for ID, given a ballot and be out of there in three minutes.

Can I Vote In A Different Riding Than I Live In?

Federal advance polls and election day polls require you to attend your local ‘polling place’ but if you vote at an Elections Canada office you can vote for any riding in the country.  The staff will look up your local riding and print off a ballot for you on the spot.

This is different than some provincial elections, like Alberta’s most recent, and that will cause problems on election day, so why not avoid the hassle and vote today!

What Type of Identification Do I Need?

If you are worried about your identification, don’t, as Elections Canada officials have a very long list of supported documents.  This year that even includes electronic documents.  So if your water bill comes in an email you can show that at the ballot box and they will accept it.

The key is to have two pieces of ID and one MUST have your address on it.  For most people that will be a drivers licence and voter identification card but do NOT need to have either of those.

The ID can even be expired or old.  So you if you have library card the expired 2 years ago and a paystub (with your address on it) from your last employer, elections officials will happily accept it:

From a government or government agency  From a health care facility or organization
band membership card blood donor card
birth certificate CNIB card
Canadian citizenship card or certificate hospital card
Canadian Forces identity card label on a prescription container
Canadian passport identity bracelet issued by a hospital or long-term care institution
card issued by an Inuit local authority medical clinic card
firearms licence
government cheque or cheque stub From a financial institution
government statement of benefits bank statement
health card credit card
income tax assessment credit card statement
Indian status card or temporary confirmation of registration credit union statement
library card debit card
licence or card issued for fishing, trapping or hunting insurance certificate, policy or statement
liquor identity card mortgage contract or statement
Métis card pension plan statement
old age security card personal cheque
parolee card
property tax assessment or evaluation From a private organization
public transportation card employee card
social insurance number card residential lease or sub-lease
vehicle ownership utility bill (e.g.: electricity; water; telecommunications services including telephone, cable or satellite)
Veterans Affairs health care identification card
Letters of confirmation
From Elections Canada letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
targeted revision form to residents of long-term care institutions letter of confirmation of residence from a First Nations band or reserve or an Inuit local authority
voter information card letter of confirmation of residence, letter of stay, admission form, or statement of benefits from one of the following designated establishments:
student residence
From an educational institution seniors’ residence
correspondence issued by a school, college or university long-term care institution
student identity card shelter
soup kitchen
a community-based residential facility

Elections Canada AccessibilityWhat if I Need Help To Vote?

No problem.  At the polling place on election day, advance polls prior to election day or at any Elections Canada office between now and October 15th 2019, you can bring someone to help you or the poll staff will help.

What If I Don’t Speak English or French?

You have the right to vote anywhere in both official languages, but if you speak a different language like Punjabi or German, the polls have a translators available on the phone to walk you through the process.

What if I Like Line Ups?  When are the Advance Polls?

Vote at your assigned polling station from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on:

  • Friday, October 11
  • Saturday, October 12
  • Sunday, October 13
  • Monday, October 14

To find your advance polling station, check your voter information card or use the Voter Information Service.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Name *
Email *